Joe Morrissey, 518-457-0752, Joe.Morrissey@agriculture.ny.gov
Dave Bullard, 315-487-7711 x 1377, Dave.Bullard@agriculture.ny.gov
August 05, 2013
State Fair Announces Five More Free Concerts
Chevy Court Acts Complete the Roster of 24 Live Shows
State Agriculture Commissioner Darrel J. Aubertine today announced five acts that complete the roster of free concerts to be performed on the Chevy Court stage at the 2013 Great New York State Fair. The roster includes a well-known band with ties to the North Country.
“The Fair is one of the state’s great tourist attractions and is perhaps the best free music festival in New York. These additions to the roster of talent add to the impressive list of performers in all genres at this year’s Fair. I encourage all New Yorkers to make the short trip to enjoy their State Fair,” said Commissioner Aubertine.
The acts being announced today complete the lineup of 24 performances during the twice-daily free shows at Chevy Court, which is sponsored by Chevrolet. They are:
- Rock band Grace Potter & The Nocturnals, a band that got its start when Potter was a student at St. Lawrence University in Canton, New York. The band’s three most recent albums have all hit the top 10 on various charts. They perform on opening night, Thursday, August 22, at 8 p.m.;
- Country star Phil Vassar, who wrote #1 songs for major stars and charted more than 20 songs of his own, will perform on Saturday, August 24 at 8 p.m.
- R&B singer Kenneth “Babyface” Edmonds”. A 10-time Grammy winner with 11 solo albums of his own, Edmonds' impeccably crafted explorations of love, romance and relationships have made an indelible imprint on the evolution of contemporary pop music throughout the world: over 125 Top-10 R&B and Pop hits, 42 #1's R&B hits, and 51 Top-10 Pop hits (including 16 #1's), which have produced single and album sales in excess of over 500 million units worldwide. Edmonds most recent production with other artists includes Barbra Streisand, Celine Dion, Keri Hilson, Ledisi and Ariana Grande. Edmonds is currently in the studio working on a duet album with Toni Braxton due out fall of 2013. He performs at 2 p.m. on Sunday, August 25;
- Celtic and world music group The Willis Clan, which is made up of seven young members of the Willis family. The entire family – husband, wife, and all 12 children – appear on the reality show The Willis Clan. The group performs at 2 p.m., Saturday, August 31;
- Legendary pop vocal group The 5th Dimension, whose hits dominated the charts in the 1960s and 70s. The group, featuring original member Florence LaRue, performs at 2 p.m. on Wednesday, August 28.
A complete listing of all Chevy Court acts is available on the New York State Fair website at http://www.nysfair.org/concerts/chevy-court/. More free music is available daily on several other stages at the Fair, including the Midway Music Series stage, the Regional Artists Variety Stage, the Pan-African Village Stage, Gospel Weekend at the Talent Showcase Stage, and the Grange Building Stage. All music on these stages is free with your Fair admission.
Tickets remain on sale for all concerts at the Grandstand, including for Carly Rae Jepsen, Reba, Toby Keith, Jeff Dunham, Luke Bryan, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Korn, and Fall Out Boy. Only obstructed view tickets remain for Luke Bryan, however.
The New York State Fair runs from August 22 – September 2, 2013. The Fair’s theme is “Sharing the Bounty and Pride of New York.” Advance sale tickets that offer a 40% discount on the price of admission to the Fair are available at locations across the state. Also available is a discount card offering $24 in credits for Strates Shows midway rides for $14, as well as a coupon book available at a $1 discount before the Fair that has 100 coupons worth up to $3,000 in savings at the Fair and beyond. See the Fair’s website at http://www.nysfair.org/buy-tickets/advance-sale-tickets/ for locations and details.
In addition to the annual New York State Fair, the Fairgrounds host dozens of agricultural events throughout the year, including some of the Northeast’s most prestigious horse and livestock shows.
The home of the Great New York State Fair is a 375-acre exhibit and entertainment complex that operates all year. A year-round schedule of events is available on the Fair’s website. Find The Great New York State Fair on Facebook or follow NYS Fair on Twitter. Also, New Yorkers are invited to send their ideas on the Great New York State Fair at email@example.com.
2013 Press Releases