Importation in to New York State:
Please note: the following table of import requirements does not reflect any emergency regulations that may be in place. Be sure to check our Division of Animal Industry homepage under the section called “Emergency Import Regulations” to see any additional emergency importation requirements.
Large animals/livestock (cattle, sheep, goats, bison, antelope, buffalo, duikers, gazelle and other exotic bovidae, swine, llamas, alpacas, guanacos, vicunas), please click on the state of origin:
Fairs: Animals coming to the NY State and county fairs may have fair requirements in addition to what is required for entry into NY State. See “Interstate Health Requirements for Fairs”
For livestock (cattle, sheep, goats and cervids) moving into New York State for immediate slaughter.
Cervids (deer of all species, elk, and moose):
Cats & Dogs
- "New York State accepts a 3 year rabies vaccination for dogs and cats on interstate health certificates. It must be noted on the health certificate that it is a 3 year rabies vaccine. The health certificate must also have the vaccine product name, date of vaccination and whether it is a killed or live vaccine recorded on it." Dog and Cat Importation into NY State
- If importing animals from outside of the US, you must meet both Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and NYS Requirements
- CDC Requirements - BringingAnimalToUs.html
- NYS Requirements- Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI) issued 30 days or less prior to entry and current Rabies Vaccination for cats and dogs 3 months of age and older. In addition to a one year rabies vaccination, we do also accept 3 year rabies vaccination. (see first bullet in this section)
Note: CVI must be written or officially translated in English. We do not accept the Pet Passport.
- If importing animals from inside the US, you must meet NYS Requirements
- Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI) issued 30 days or less prior to entry and current Rabies Vaccination for cats and dogs 3 months of age and older. In addition to a one year rabies vaccination, we do also accept a 3 year rabies vaccination. (see first bullet in this section)
- If staying in NYS for less than 30 days or for exhibition, a CVI is not needed but proof of rabies is required.
- If a NY resident is travelling out of state and travelling back with the same pet within one year, a CVI is not needed but proof of rabies and proof of NYS residency is required.
- Dogs or cats with infectious or communicable disease can enter NYS only for treatment at a veterinary clinic. The certificate of veterinary inspection must indicate the animal is moving to the clinic for treatment of that condition.
- Traveling with your pet - USDA-APHIS (pet_travel.shtml)
Wildlife / Exotics / Endangered Species
- The following link lists animals that are not under the jurisdiction of New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets for import requirements. Please call the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation at (518) 402-8985 for more information. Wild Animal Species List
Animals Going to New York City
- Animals going to NYC for any reason need to meet NYC Dept of Health regulations. Please visit the NYC Dept of Health website or call (646) 632-6604. New York City has their own regulations regarding animals coming into city limits in addition to New York State import requirements.
State Status List for Animal Disease Programs: May be subject to change for some programs, please check back often.
New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets, Division of Animal Industry, Import / Export Clerk:
Phone (518) 457-3971 | Fax (518) 485-0839
Exportation out of New York State:
Interstate – For import and export phone numbers by listed by state.
For import and export requirements for other states.
International – USDA is the agency with jurisdiction for international movement of animals. Any questions about international movement of animals or animal products should be directed to a USDA office. The NY USDA office phone number is (518) 218-7540. For Animals | For Animal Products