April 13, 2007|
Jessica A. Chittenden
Harry & David Expands Its Nationwide Allergy Alert for Undeclared Nut Allergens in Candies
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- Medford, OR -- April 13, 2007 -- Harry & David Operations Corp., of Medford, Oregon, is recalling approximately 2000 boxes of candies because they may contain undeclared nuts, including peanuts, almonds, pecans, walnuts and cashews.People who have an allergy to these nuts run the risk of serious or life-threatening allergic reaction if they consume these products.
Harry & David is recalling all lot codes of these products. These products are in: 6 oz. paperboard boxes with a folded over top. The boxes are striped in several color variations.
- Dark Chocolate Clusters The Ultimate Walnut Cherry Caramel Indulgence candies in green and cream striped
- Dark Chocolate Clusters The Ultimate Peanut & Peanut Butter Indulgence in red and cream striped boxes (275).
- Dark Chocolate Clusters The Ultimate Pecan Cranberry Caramel Indulgence in dark red and cream striped boxes (270).
- Whole Almond Confection in brown and white striped boxes (595).
- Whole Cashew Confection in dark red and cream striped boxes (575).
Sales of these products have ceased. The candies were produced and packaged by a third party vendor and distributed throughout the United States through Harry and David Stores beginning March 2007.
There have been no injuries reported to date. Anyone concerned about a potential illness associated with this product should contact a physician immediately.
The recall was initiated after it was determined that the products may contain undeclared nuts, including peanuts, almonds, walnuts, pecans and cashews. Harry and David has informed FDA of its action and is fully cooperating with the agency. Investigation into the cause is ongoing.
Consumers are requested to return product to the place of purchase for a full refund. Consumers with questions about the recalled product may phone the Customer Service division at 800-233-1101, 24 hours a day.
2007 Consumer Alerts