November 20, 2007|
Jessica A. Chittenden
Charlemagne Chocolatiers Issues Allergy Alert on Undeclared Milk Protein in Charlemagne Dark Chocolate Organic Bars
Belgium ís Best Chocolates, Inc
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- November 20, 2007--- Charlemagne Chocolatiers of Belgium is voluntarily recalling its dark chocolate organic bars currently on the US market, because it may contain undeclared milk protein. People who have an allergy or severe sensitivity to milk run the risk of serious or life-threatening allergic reaction if they consume these products. Charlemagne Organic Bars are distributed in the US by Belgiumís Best Chocolates, Inc. and were shipped to retail stores in the following states: MI, CA, NJ, NY and MA. Approximately 5000 units of dark Charlemagne organic chocolate bars were distributed. The following chocolate bars are affected:
- Charlemagne Dark with Coffee 50 gr.(1.75 oz.) (UPC= 5 425001 204038)
- Charlemagne Dark with Cinnamon 50 gr.(1.75 oz.) (UPC= 5 425001 204052)
- Charlemagne Dark with Orange 50 gr.(1.75 oz.) (UPC= 5 425001 204021)
- Charlemagne Dark with Green tea 50 gr.(1.75 oz.) (UPC= 5 425001 204045)
- Charlemagne Plain Dark with Belize Chocolate. 50 gr.(1.75 oz.) (UPC= 5 425001 204014)
No illnesses have been reported to date in the US. The Charlemagne Organic dark chocolate bars were tested for milk protein in the US by FDA after a recall was initiated in Canada. The organic dark chocolate bars were distributed in packaging that did not list milk protein in the ingredients or allergen statement.
Consumers that have purchased Charlemagne Organic Dark chocolate products can return it to the place of purchase for a full refund. Consumers with questions may contact the US distributor at 1-877-INDULGE.
2007 Consumer Alerts