Agriculture_Markets
Andrew M. Cuomo, Governor | Richard A. Ball, Commissioner
 
   
Jessica A. Chittenden
518-457-3136
jessica.chittenden@agriculture.ny.gov


February 25, 2008

State Appoints Retired Race Horse Task Force Members

Task Force to Explore Options for Horses No Longer Able to Race; First Meeting is February 29

New York State Agriculture Commissioner Patrick Hooker and New York State Racing and Wagering Board Chairman Daniel Hogan today announced the members of the New York State Task Force on Retired Race Horses, which was re-established by law last year. Members of the task force will investigate the feasibility of creating a larger market and alternative employment opportunities for retired race horses, as well as the costs and benefits of installing artificial turf at race courses.

"Horses have always played an integral part of the agricultural industry, and especially here in New York where we have such a rich tradition of horse racing," Commissioner Hooker said. "Since only 15 percent of all race horses are ever successful, the prospects for the remaining 85 percent are uncertain. As these athletes exit their racing career, I want to ensure a desirable place for them back in the agricultural industry where we can utilize their abilities and improve the lives of New Yorkers."

Chairman Hogan said, "New York State has more than 40,000 horses bred for racing that have enriched our lives both on the track and back at the stable. These are animals that have served the sport and our economy for years and we have a responsibility to look for second careers for these animals. This task force will explore the transition of these horses from the track to other disciplines."

The 13-member Task Force will be co-chaired by New York State Agriculture Commissioner Patrick Hooker and New York State Racing and Wagering Board Chairman Daniel Hogan. Members of the Task Force must be owners or breeders of racehorses, have expertise in training horses for uses other than racing, are familiar with horses for recreational or therapeutic uses, or possess business experience related to the equine industry. To date, the following individuals have been appointed and confirmed to serve on the Task Force.

§ Grace "Jean" Brown, standardbred farm director, Walkill (Orange County)

§ Karin Bump, equine professor, Cazenvoia (Madison County)

§ Fiona Farrell, equine attorney at law, Stillwater (Saratoga County)

§ William Hopsicker, thoroughbred owner, Oriskany Falls (Oneida County)

§ Jackson Knowlton, thoroughbred owner, Saratoga Springs (Saratoga County)

§ Margaret Ohlinger, DVM, equine veterinarian, Bloomfield (Ontario County)

§ Diana Pikulski, Executive Director of the Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation, Saratoga (Saratoga County)

§ Martin Scheiman, Esq., thoroughbred owner, Sands Point (Nassau County)

§ Alice Calabrese Smith, President & CEO of the Humane Society of Greater Rochester, Webster (Monroe County)

The New York State Task Force on Retired Race Horses will meet this Friday, February 29 at the Department of Agriculture and Markets’ office in Albany to review the use of retired race horses in alternative fields such as recreational riding, competitive sports other than racing, therapeutic riding and in rehabilitation efforts at correctional and other government facilities. They will also discuss the feasibility of retraining these horses, work to develop alternative sources of employment for retired race horses, and look into the economics surrounding the installation of artificial turf on race courses to help minimize injuries to both jockeys and horses.

New York’s equine industry includes more than 168,000 horses and was valued at $1.7 billion in 2000. A quarter of all the horses in New York are race horses; 30,500 thoroughbreds and 11,500 standardbreds. Race horses in New York are valued at $1.14 billion. While horses generally live for 20 or more years, they typically only race up until there are four or five years old.


2008 Press Releases