Joe Morrissey, 518-457-0752, Joe.Morrissey@agriculture.ny.gov|
Dave Bullard, 315-487-7711 x 1377, Dave.Bullard@agriculture.ny.gov
June 03, 2014
Indie Rockers Young the Giant to Play Chevy Court at the 2014 Great New York State Fair
Band Behind Hit “Cough Syrup” is Touring Behind Second Album
Rock group Young The Giant brings songs from its second full-length album to Chevy Court at the Great New York State Fair at 8:00 p.m. on Sunday, August 24, Acting State Fair Director Troy Waffner announced today.
Young The Giant has quickly established itself as one of the most exciting new bands in recent memory. Buoyed by hit singles including “Apartment” and the RIAA-gold certified smashes, “My Body” and “Cough Syrup,” the Southern California-based quintet’s 2010 full length debut “Young The Giant” was a breakthrough success earning widespread acclaim from the likes of SPIN, The New Yorker, and the Wall Street Journal, which hailed the album as “a pop masterpiece with well-crafted songs, surprising arrangements and soaring vocal harmonies.”
The band’s new album, “Mind Over Matter” has already earned a range of critical applause, with USA Today noting in a three-out-of-four starred rave that Young The Giant’s “…twin-guitar lines, buzzy synths and wide-open melodies fit together in a way that makes perfect sense.” Entertainment Weekly awarded the album a B+ rating, while Relix commended the album’s “dazzlingly immersive textures and eclectic songcraft,” adding that, “‘Mind Over Matter’ is a major creative leap.”
“Young The Giant brings us a great show for fans of thoughtful, modern rock and adds to the diversity of a very strong lineup of shows. I believe you’ll find new music that you’ll love at this concert,” said Waffner.
Concerts on Chevy Court are presented by Chevrolet.
Acts previously announced for the Chevy Court stage include:
- Kellie Pickler, at 2:00 p.m., Thursday, August 21
- Barenaked Ladies, at 8:00 p.m., Thursday, August 21
- Smash Mouth, at 2:00 p.m., Friday, August 22
- The Bacon Brothers, at 8:00 p.m., Saturday, August 23
- Herman’s Hermits Starring Peter Noone, at 2:00 p.m., Monday, August 25
- John Kay and Steppenwolf, at 8:00 p.m., Monday, August 25
- Bowzer’s Rock & Roll Party, at 2:00 p.m., Tuesday, August 26
- Chef Anne Burrell, at 2:00 p.m., Wednesday, August 27
- Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, at 8:00 p.m., Wednesday, August 27
- Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes, at 8:00 p.m., Friday, August 29
- The Doobie Brothers, at 6:00 p.m., Monday, September 1
At the Grandstand, very limited tickets remain available for the Saturday, Aug. 30 concert by Jason Aldean with Florida Georgia Line and Tyler Farr. Tickets remain available for:
- Brad Paisley with Randy Houser, Charlie Worsham, and Leah Turner, on Thursday, August 21
- Pitbull, on Saturday, August 23
- Kid Rock, on Monday, August 25
- Train with The Wallflowers, on Tuesday, August 26
- Carrie Underwood, on Wednesday, August 27
- Journey with Cheap Trick, on Thursday, August 28
The New York State Fair, operated by the New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets, runs from August 21 – September 1, 2014. The Fair’s mission, reflected in its 2014 theme, “Summer’s Best in Show,” is to showcase the best of New York agriculture while providing top-quality entertainment. This year’s tagline – “New Attractions, Old Favorites, Timeless Fun” – highlights the more than two dozen new events and attractions and the expansion or enhancement of several Fairgoer favorites.
In addition to the annual New York State Fair, the Fairgrounds host dozens of agricultural events throughout the year, including some of the Northeast’s most prestigious horse and livestock shows.
The home of the Great New York State Fair is a 375-acre exhibit and entertainment complex that operates all year. A year-round schedule of events is available on the Fair’s website. Find The Great New York State Fair on Facebook, follow @NYSFair on Twitter, and enjoy photos from the Fair at Flickr.com/photos/nysfair. Also, New Yorkers are invited to send their ideas for the Great New York State Fair at email@example.com.
2014 Press Releases