Joe Morrissey, 518-457-0752, Joe.Morrissey@agriculture.ny.gov|
Dave Bullard, 315-487-7711 x 1377, Dave.Bullard@agriculture.ny.gov
June 12, 2014
Chart-Topping Country Group Eli Young Band to Perform at Chevy Court during the 2014 Great New York State Fair
A Full Day of Country on Aug. 28 Begins With Up-And-Coming Angie Johnson
One of country music’s hottest groups, the Eli Young Band, will perform at Chevy Court at the Great New York State Fair on Thursday, August 28 at 8:00 p.m., Acting State Fair Director Troy Waffner announced today.
Mike Eli and James Young were college roommates in Texas who began performing together. Eventually, they turned their acoustic duo into a full band – the Eli Young Band. The group has known nothing but success since its 2008 major-label debut album, which saw four songs hit the country charts, including “Always The Love Songs.” “Crazy Girl” and “Even If It Breaks Your Heart,” from the next album, both hit #1 on the country charts. The latter song earned the band its first major honor from the Academy of Country Music, winning “Song of the Year.” The group’s new album, 10,000 Towns, has already spawned a #1 single on the country airplay charts, with “Drunk Last Night.”
“The Eli Young Band is going to provide a night of fun, hard-driving country music and will be one of the premier performances of the Chevy Court season. The band is new to the Fair and is one more reason to check out the more than two dozen new attractions, events, and activities at the 2014 State Fair,” said Waffner.
At 2:00 p.m. that day, up-and-coming country artist Angie Johnson will perform. The Air Force veteran got her big break after an impromptu video of her singing Adele’s “Rollin’ In The Deep” for troops in the Middle East was posted to YouTube. It led to her being part of Team Cee Lo in season two of “The Voice” and a recording contract. Angie has since performed at the White House and at the World Series. She remains attached to the military, as a Tech Sgt. in the Air National Guard. Her performance comes on the Fair’s annual Veterans Day.
The 23 free performances by national artists on the Chevy Court stage are sponsored by Chevrolet.
Acts previously announced for the Chevy Court stage include:
- Kellie Pickler, at 2:00 p.m., Thursday, August 21
- Barenaked Ladies, at 8:00 p.m., Thursday, August 21
- Smash Mouth, at 2:00 p.m., Friday, August 22
- The Bacon Brothers, at 8:00 p.m., Saturday, August 23
- Young The Giant, at 8:00 p.m., Sunday, August 24
- Herman’s Hermits Starring Peter Noone, at 2:00 p.m., Monday, August 25
- John Kay and Steppenwolf, at 8:00 p.m., Monday, August 25
- Bowzer’s Rock & Roll Party, at 2:00 p.m., Tuesday, August 26
- Night Ranger, at 8:00 p.n., Tuesday, August 26
- Chef Anne Burrell, at 2:00 p.m., Wednesday, August 27
- Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, at 8:00 p.m., Wednesday, August 27
- Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes, at 8:00 p.m., Friday, August 29
- The Doobie Brothers, at 6:00 p.m., Monday, September 1
At the Grandstand, very limited tickets remain available for the Saturday, Aug. 30 concert by Jason Aldean with Florida Georgia Line and Tyler Farr. Tickets remain available for:
- Brad Paisley with Randy Houser, Charlie Worsham, and Leah Turner, on Thursday, August 21
- Pitbull, on Saturday, August 23
- Kid Rock, on Monday, August 25
- Train with The Wallflowers, on Tuesday, August 26
- Carrie Underwood, on Wednesday, August 27
- Journey with Cheap Trick, on Thursday, August 28
The New York State Fair, operated by the New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets, runs from August 21 – September 1, 2014. The Fair’s mission, reflected in its 2014 theme, “Summer’s Best in Show,” is to showcase the best of New York agriculture while providing top-quality entertainment. This year’s tagline – “New Attractions, Old Favorites, Timeless Fun” – highlights the more than two dozen new events and attractions and the expansion or enhancement of several Fairgoer favorites.
In addition to the annual New York State Fair, the Fairgrounds host dozens of agricultural events throughout the year, including some of the Northeast’s most prestigious horse and livestock shows.
The home of the Great New York State Fair is a 375-acre exhibit and entertainment complex that operates all year. A year-round schedule of events is available on the Fair’s website. Find The Great New York State Fair on Facebook, follow @NYSFair on Twitter, and enjoy photos from the Fair at Flickr.com/photos/nysfair. Also, New Yorkers are invited to send their ideas for the Great New York State Fair at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2014 Press Releases