Joe Morrissey, 518-457-0752, Joe.Morrissey@agriculture.ny.gov|
Dave Bullard, 315-487-7711 x 1377, Dave.Bullard@agriculture.ny.gov
June 24, 2014
Pop Duo Mkto to Perform at Chevy Court during the 2014 Great New York State Fair
Young Performers Met as Actors, Discovered a Knack for Singing Together
The young men of rising pop duo MKTO bring music from their debut album to Chevy Court at the Great New York State Fair on Sunday, August 31 at 2:00 p.m., Acting State Fair Director Troy Waffner announced today.
MKTO is Tony Oller, age 23 and Malcolm Kelly, age 22. They instantly became best friends when they first met on the Los Angeles set of Teen Nick's TV series Gigantic in 2010. Between takes, the duo couldn't stop talking about one thing -- making music. They linked with songwriters/producers Eman and Evan "Kidd" Bogart (Beyonce, Ne-Yo, Rihanna) who signed them to Columbia Records and began executive producing their self-titled debut album. MKTO features the uplifting and kinetic "American Dream," "Could Be Me," a collaboration with Grammy Award winner Ne-Yo, and culminates with the stunning "Goodbye Song". MKTO have seen international success with multi-platinum top 10 singles in Australia and New Zealand, garnering a dedicated and loyal fanbase along the way and amassing over 1 million record sales worldwide.
Kelly is also known to audiences for his role as Walt Lloyd on the ABC series Lost. Oller portrayed Danny Neilson on the Disney Channel series As the Bell Rings and in the Lifetime movie Unanswered Prayers, based on the Garth Brooks song.
“These two young men give us a glimpse of what’s to come in pop music and are a great family-friendly reason to come to the Fair. This is just the latest in a strong and diverse lineup of great musical acts, available for free at Chevy Court,” said Waffner.
The 23 free performances by national artists on the Chevy Court stage are sponsored by Chevrolet.
Acts previously announced for the Chevy Court stage include:
- Kellie Pickler, at 2:00 p.m., Thursday, August 21
- Barenaked Ladies, at 8:00 p.m., Thursday, August 21
- Smash Mouth, at 2:00 p.m., Friday, August 22
- Jason Derulo, at 8:00 p.m., Friday, August 22
- The Bacon Brothers, at 8:00 p.m., Saturday, August 23
- Young The Giant, at 8:00 p.m., Sunday, August 24
- Herman’s Hermits Starring Peter Noone, at 2:00 p.m., Monday, August 25
- John Kay and Steppenwolf, at 8:00 p.m., Monday, August 25
- Bowzer’s Rock & Roll Party, at 2:00 p.m., Tuesday, August 26
- Night Ranger, at 8:00 p.n., Tuesday, August 26
- Chef Anne Burrell, at 2:00 p.m., Wednesday, August 27
- Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, at 8:00 p.m., Wednesday, August 27
- Angie Johnson, at 2:00 p.m., Thursday, August 28
- The Eli Young Band, at 8:00 p.m., Thursday, August 28
- Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes, at 8:00 p.m., Friday, August 29
- Uncle Kracker, at 2:00 p.m., Saturday, August 30
- The Doobie Brothers, at 6:00 p.m., Monday, September 1
At the Grandstand, very limited tickets remain available for the Saturday, Aug. 30 concert by Jason Aldean with Florida Georgia Line and Tyler Farr. Tickets remain available for:
- Brad Paisley with Randy Houser, Charlie Worsham, and Leah Turner, on Thursday, August 21
- The Rockstar Energy Drink Uproar Festival, August 22
- Pitbull, on Saturday, August 23
- Kid Rock, on Monday, August 25
- Train with The Wallflowers, on Tuesday, August 26
- Carrie Underwood, on Wednesday, August 27
- Journey with Cheap Trick, on Thursday, August 28
The New York State Fair, operated by the New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets, runs from August 21 – September 1, 2014. The Fair’s mission, reflected in its 2014 theme, “Summer’s Best in Show,” is to showcase the best of New York agriculture while providing top-quality entertainment. This year’s tagline – “New Attractions, Old Favorites, Timeless Fun” – highlights the more than two dozen new events and attractions and the expansion or enhancement of several Fairgoer favorites.
In addition to the annual New York State Fair, the Fairgrounds host dozens of agricultural events throughout the year, including some of the Northeast’s most prestigious horse and livestock shows.
The home of the Great New York State Fair is a 375-acre exhibit and entertainment complex that operates all year. A year-round schedule of events is available on the Fair’s website. Find The Great New York State Fair on Facebook, follow @NYSFair on Twitter, and enjoy photos from the Fair at Flickr.com/photos/nysfair. Also, New Yorkers are invited to send their ideas for the Great New York State Fair at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2014 Press Releases