Joe Morrissey, 518-457-0752, Joe.Morrissey@agriculture.ny.gov|
Dave Bullard, 315-487-7711 x 1377, Dave.Bullard@agriculture.ny.gov
June 27, 2014
The Neighbourhood Brings Intense, Dreamy Rock to Chevy Court at the Great New York State Fair
Band was Just Named One of Five Top Artists on Digital Radio
The Neighbourhood, the California band whose dreamy sound but intense lyrics are capturing legions of new fans, will perform at Chevy Court at 2:00 p.m. August 29 during the 2014 Great New York State Fair, the Fair’s Acting Director, Troy Waffner, announced today. All Chevy Court shows are free with your paid admission to the Fair.
The Neighbourhood broke out with hit singles “Sweater Weather” and “Afraid” from their debut album I Love You. “Sweater Weather,” which Billboard described as “deeply compelling,” was recently certified double platinum by the RIAA for sales in excess of two million units and had one of the longest runs on the 2013 radio charts. The song was also praised by Rolling Stone, which noted “Layering hasn’t sounded this cool since ‘The Sweater Song.’” The follow up single “Afraid,” praised by Billboard for its “edgy, subtle hooks,” is seeing similar success.
The performance rights organization SoundExchange this month named The Neighbourhood one of five musical groups or performers to have seen the most significant rise in online radio play in 2014.
The Neighbourhood’s new project #000000 & #FFFFFF will be out later this year. Vocalist Jesse Rutherford says about the album, “#000000 & #FFFFFF is a diary of songs that are inspired by our thoughts while on the road. It exposes our anxiety, rejoices in our achievement and expresses our ability to create whatever we want. It’s our freedom to explore popular music as we know it. It’s not us as a band… it’s us as a sound." Four tracks are available now for listening at Live Mixtapes.
“The Neighbourhood adds to the diversity of musical styles in our terrific Chevy Court lineup this year. If you want to hear something from the cutting edge of rock this year, this show is a can’t miss,” said Waffner.
The 23 free performances by national artists on the Chevy Court stage are sponsored by Chevrolet.
Acts previously announced for the Chevy Court stage include:
- Kellie Pickler, at 2:00 p.m., Thursday, August 21
- Barenaked Ladies, at 8:00 p.m., Thursday, August 21
- Smash Mouth, at 2:00 p.m., Friday, August 22
- Jason Derulo, at 8:00 p.m., Friday, August 22
- The Bacon Brothers, at 8:00 p.m., Saturday, August 23
- Young The Giant, at 8:00 p.m., Sunday, August 24
- Herman’s Hermits Starring Peter Noone, at 2:00 p.m., Monday, August 25
- John Kay and Steppenwolf, at 8:00 p.m., Monday, August 25
- Bowzer’s Rock & Roll Party, at 2:00 p.m., Tuesday, August 26
- Night Ranger, at 8:00 p.n., Tuesday, August 26
- Chef Anne Burrell, at 2:00 p.m., Wednesday, August 27
- Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, at 8:00 p.m., Wednesday, August 27
- Angie Johnson, at 2:00 p.m., Thursday, August 28
- The Eli Young Band, at 8:00 p.m., Thursday, August 28
- Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes, at 8:00 p.m., Friday, August 29
- Uncle Kracker, at 2:00 p.m., Saturday, August 30
- Bell Biv Devoe at 8:00 p.m., Saturday, August 30
- MKTO, at 2:00 p.m., Sunday, August 31
- The Doobie Brothers, at 6:00 p.m., Monday, September 1
At the Grandstand, very limited tickets remain available for the Saturday, Aug. 30 concert by Jason Aldean with Florida Georgia Line and Tyler Farr. Tickets remain available for:
- Brad Paisley with Randy Houser, Charlie Worsham, and Leah Turner, on Thursday, August 21
- The Rockstar Energy Drink Uproar Festival, August 22
- Pitbull, on Saturday, August 23
- Kid Rock, on Monday, August 25
- Train with The Wallflowers, on Tuesday, August 26
- Carrie Underwood, on Wednesday, August 27
- Journey with Cheap Trick, on Thursday, August 28
The New York State Fair, operated by the New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets, runs from August 21 – September 1, 2014. The Fair’s mission, reflected in its 2014 theme, “Summer’s Best in Show,” is to showcase the best of New York agriculture while providing top-quality entertainment. This year’s tagline – “New Attractions, Old Favorites, Timeless Fun” – highlights the more than two dozen new events and attractions and the expansion or enhancement of several Fairgoer favorites.
In addition to the annual New York State Fair, the Fairgrounds host dozens of agricultural events throughout the year, including some of the Northeast’s most prestigious horse and livestock shows.
The home of the Great New York State Fair is a 375-acre exhibit and entertainment complex that operates all year. A year-round schedule of events is available on the Fair’s website. Find The Great New York State Fair on Facebook, follow @NYSFair on Twitter, and enjoy photos from the Fair at Flickr.com/photos/nysfair. Also, New Yorkers are invited to send their ideas for the Great New York State Fair at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2014 Press Releases