Joe Morrissey, 518-457-0752, Joe.Morrissey@agriculture.ny.gov|
Dave Bullard, 315-487-7711 x 1377, Dave.Bullard@agriculture.ny.gov
July 16, 2014
Teen Pop, Rock, and Dance Music Performances Highlight Midway Music Series Stage at the Great New York State Fair
From teen pop to electronic dance music to tribute bands, the musical performances on the Midway Music Series stage at the Great New York State Fair hold a little something for everyone, Acting Fair Director Troy Waffner announced today.
Six performances make up the heart of the popular music shows on the Midway stage, including two teen-oriented pop shows, a rock band, an electronic dance music group, and two well-known tribute bands. The performances are:
- Big Eyed Phish, the 7-piece, Rochester-based Dave Matthews Band tribute group, at 7:30 p.m. on Monday, August 25. The band performs throughout the Northeast and claims to be able to play any song in the Matthews catalog.
- Ashley Allen, with The Goonies, at 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, August 26. Her positive, danceable pop music has been captured on her first EP, “Body Say No, Heart Say Yes,” which was released earlier this year. Syracuse duo The Goonies provide her backing music.
- Dark Hollow, a popular Grateful Dead tribute band, at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, August 27. The Syracuse-based group played the Midway stage last year and received an enthusiastic reception.
- Cash Cash, an electronic dance music group, at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday, August 28. Cash Cash, made up of brothers Jean Paul and Alex Makhlouf and Samuel Frisch, has recorded three albums and has performed remixes for Katy Perry, Kelly Clarkson, and Bruno Mars, among many others.
- Action Item, a pop rock band from New Jersey, at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, August 29. The band is assembling its first full-length album after putting out several well-regarded EPs, including one produced by Nick Jonas of the Jonas Brothers.
- Megan & Liz with Heyday, a pop duo from Michigan, at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, August 30. Twin sisters and songwriters Megan and Liz Mace built their career by uploading their performances to YouTube, where they now have more than 1 million subscribers. The 21-year-olds have their first EP, Simple Life.
“The Midway Music Series introduces Fairgoers to bands they might not have seen any other way. You’re sure to find a new favorite here this year, right before the rest of the nation catches on to their talent,” said Waffner.
The Midway Music Series is sponsored by Time Warner Cable.
Performances announced for the Midway Music Series stage so far include:
- Contestants from “The Voice,” the NBC musical competition, including Shawn “Big Sexy” Smith of Oneida County, at 7:30 on Thursday, August 21
- Country music legend John Anderson, at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, August 22.
- Couples who have competed on the CBS reality competition “The Amazing Race,” at 7:30 p.m. on Sunday, August 31
The New York State Fair, operated by the New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets, runs from August 21 – September 1, 2014. The Fair’s mission, reflected in its 2014 theme, “Summer’s Best in Show,” is to showcase the best of New York agriculture while providing top-quality entertainment. This year’s tagline – “New Attractions, Old Favorites, Timeless Fun” – highlights the more than two dozen new events and attractions and the expansion or enhancement of several Fairgoer favorites.
In addition to the annual New York State Fair, the Fairgrounds host dozens of agricultural events throughout the year, including some of the Northeast’s most prestigious horse and livestock shows.
The home of the Great New York State Fair is a 375-acre exhibit and entertainment complex that operates all year. A year-round schedule of events is available on the Fair’s website. Find The Great New York State Fair on Facebook, follow @NYSFair on Twitter, and enjoy photos from the Fair at Flickr.com/photos/nysfair. Also, New Yorkers are invited to send their ideas for the Great New York State Fair at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2014 Press Releases