Jola Szubielski 518-457-0752|
Dave Bullard 315-487-7711 x 1377
July 06, 2015
Fultonville, New York’s Own Sawyer Fredericks to Headline Chevy Court Concert at the Great New York State Fair
Winner of ‘The Voice’ Competition to be Joined by ‘Voice’ Contestants Josh Batstone of Fulton and Amanda Lee Peers of Rochester
Sawyer Fredericks has had a whirlwind year—one that has taken him from his Montgomery County farm to the 2015 championship of the reality TV singing competition, “The Voice,” and now, to the stage that’s hosting the greatest free music lineup at any fair in America. Fredericks will give a solo performance on the Chevy Court stage at 2 p.m. Saturday, September 5 during the Great New York State Fair, Acting Director Troy Waffner announced today.
His tale is a modern twist on the American success story: A homeschooled, farm-raised boy takes singing lessons to indulge his love of music. He sings at local fairs and farmers markets, makes a mark in a regional competition, and begins to record his own music. Talent scouts noticed his YouTube videos and invited him to try out for the televised music competition “The Voice.” By the time he won the competition, Fredericks had set a record for having 14 singles on the iTunes Top 200 Singles Chart at the same time. He has sold nearly 1 million copies of his songs performed on “The Voice.”
Opening for Fredericks will be two Upstate New Yorkers who also made a mark on national TV. Josh Batstone of Fulton made it to the battle round of “The Voice” this season, not bad for a young man who didn’t join the school choir until 9th grade. Amanda Lee Peers of Rochester will also take to the stage, performing solo after being part of a band that opened for national touring acts. She also made it to the battle round of “The Voice” in season seven and recently released her first solo EP titled “Summertime State of Mind.”
“We often say the New York State Fair is a showcase for the best of New York agriculture. New York farms always grow special things and in this case, an immensely talented performer in Sawyer who is clearly on his way to the top. Josh and Amanda may not have grown up on a farm, but they’ve cultivated their talents, too. This will be a very special show,” said Waffner.
The Fair has previously announced several shows for its 2015 series of free concerts at Chevy Court, a lineup that’s garnering attention as perhaps the best and most diverse ever. Shows announced include:
- Everclear - 2 p.m., opening day, Thursday, August 27
- Rick Springfield - 8 p.m., Thursday, August 27
- Orleans & Friends with Barrere and Tackett - 2 p.m., Friday, August 28
- Melissa Etheridge - 8 p.m., Friday, August 28
- Dan + Shay – 2 p.m., Saturday, August 29
- Buckcherry – 8 p.m., Saturday, August 29
- The Swon Brothers – 2 p.m., Sunday, August 30
- Nate Ruess – 8 p.m., Sunday, August 30
- Bowzer’s Rock N’ Roll Party – 2 p.m., Monday, August 31
- Cole Swindell – 8 p.m., Monday, August 31
- The Oak Ridge Boys - 2 p.m., Tuesday, September 1
- Joe Nichols – 8 p.m., Tuesday, September 1
- Salt-N-Pepa - 2 p.m., Wednesday, September 2
- Snoop Dogg - 8 p.m., Wednesday, September 2
- Meghan Trainor - 8 p.m., Thursday, September 3
- Six Nations Day Celebration, with traditional dancers and The Ripcords - 1 p.m., Friday, September 4
- R5 – 2 p.m., Sunday, September 6
- The Steve Miller Band – 8 p.m., Sunday, September 6
- Nick Jonas - 6 p.m., Monday, September 7
Concerts on Chevy Court are sponsored by Chevrolet. Chevy Court concerts are free with admission to the Fair.
The New York State Fair, operated by the New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets, runs from August 27 to September 7, 2015. The Fair’s mission, reflected in its theme, “Summer’s Best in Show,” is to showcase the best of New York agriculture while providing top-quality entertainment.
In addition to the annual New York State Fair, the Fairgrounds host dozens of agricultural events throughout the year, including some of the Northeast’s most prestigious horse and livestock shows.
The home of the Great New York State Fair is a 375-acre exhibit and entertainment complex that operates all year. A year-round schedule of events is available on the Fair’s website. Find The Great New York State Fair on Facebook, follow @NYSFair on Twitter, and enjoy photos from the Fair at Flickr.com/photos/nysfair. Also, New Yorkers are invited to send their ideas for the Great New York State Fair at email@example.com.
2015 Press Releases