Jola Szubielski 518-457-0752|
Dave Bullard 315-487-7711 x 1377
May 04, 2017
The Circus Comes Back to the Great New York State Fair in 2017, Along with New Petting Zoo and Racing Pigs Show
Big Show Under the Big Top Part of Record Investment in Entertainment
The thrills and spectacle of a large-scale circus will be on display for fairgoers at the 2017 Great New York State Fair, as Circus Hollywood and two of its partner acts come to the Fair as part of a record investment in entertainment for fairgoers, Acting Director Troy Waffner announced today.
Circus Hollywood returns after an absence of several years, bringing with it all of the trained animal acts, daring aerial performances, and comic relief of the classic circus experience.
Traveling with Circus Hollywood are partner acts the Giraffic Park Menagerie Petting Zoo and the Hollywood Racing Pigs. The petting zoo features exotic animals such as a giraffe and kangaroos, while the humorously-named racing pigs provide a burst of energy and comedy.
“One of our largest priorities this year was to refresh our entertainment lineup just as the Fairgrounds itself has been refreshed by all of the changes. We’re very happy to bring back a big circus, along with the petting zoo and racing pig, and I know these will give our fairgoers great entertainment and some brand new memories,” said Waffner.
Another popular animal attraction, the Birds of Prey exhibit in the State Park at the Fair, will return this year as well.
They join seven previously announced grounds entertainment shows:
- Pirates of the Colombian Caribbean, a swashbuckling swordfight set on a high wire above a replica pirate ship
- Top Cop Police Academy high dive show, featuring five divers plunging into a shallow pool from ever-increasing heights
- iFlip, an aerial show featuring performers on bungee cords and trampolines, ending with a dangerous 60 foot fall into a stuntman airbag
- Hilby the Skinny German Juggling Boy, the Fair’s most popular grounds show, which features the German-accented juggler mixing comedy with great skill
- Bandaloni the One Man Band, who packs an amazing number of instruments onto his body and plays them with amazing skill and a touch of humor
- Team Sandtastic, the duo that creates the annual Sand Sculpture in the Center of Progress Building
- The annual fireworks show that ends the Fair on Labor Day, from Majestic Fireworks of Clinton, NY
Grounds entertainers are individuals or groups who perform in a wide variety of genres, including juggling, acrobatics, arts and comedy. They are placed throughout the 375-acre Fairgrounds in order to provide entertainment wherever one goes on the grounds and perform several shows per day each. Grounds entertainers stand in contrast to the Fair’s other main type of entertainment – free concerts on its music stages, including Chevy Court.
Most acts will perform three times per day. Schedules will be posted on the Fair’s website when they are complete. All grounds entertainment performances are free with Fair admission.
The Fair’s unprecedented investment in grounds entertainment follows Governor Andrew Cuomo’s $50 million plan to revitalize the 127-year old Fairgrounds. The renovations carried out in 2016 created acres of new open space for vendors and entertainment and led to the highest attendance in the Fair’s history.
The New York State Fair, operated by the New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets, runs from August 23 to September 4, 2017. The Fair's mission, reflected in its theme, "FIND YOUR GREAT," is to showcase the best of New York agriculture while providing top-quality entertainment.
The home of the Great New York State Fair is a 375-acre exhibit and entertainment complex that operates all year. A year-round schedule of events is available on the Fair’s website. Find The Great New York State Fair on Facebook, follow @NYSFair on Twitter, on Snapchat at nysfair and enjoy photos from the Fair at Flickr.com/photos/nysfair. Also, New Yorkers are invited to send their ideas for the Great New York State Fair at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2017 Press Releases