| Division of Ag Development NYC Office
Source: Grassroots Gardens of Buffalo, Buffalo, NY www.grassrootsgardens.org
Strategies for Fundraising
- Apply for grants: public and private money
- Initiate an ‘Adopt-a-Garden’ program as a way to secure donors
- Direct marketing: offer paid-for activities and/or tours in your garden
- Organize events in your garden
- Engage community partners and solicit for in-kind contributions
- Solicit prospective donors through an email blast or a mailing
- Learn more about incorporating as a nonprofit. To do so, please see the FAQ page here www.dos.ny.gov/corps/nfpfaq.asp
New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation
Community Grants Parks and Acquisition Programs
Municipalities or not-for-profit entities can apply for matching funds to acquire or preserve, rehabilitate or restore land for community gardening purposes.
New York State Department of Environmental Conservation
- Environmental Justice Community Impact Grant Program
Community gardening organizations are eligible to apply for grants to fund projects that address environmental and related public health issues. Projects must address multiple harms and risks to communities and communicate project results to the community residents.
- New York State Conservation Partnership Program
NYS DEC and the Land Trust Alliance provided thirteen annual rounds of funding (as of 2015) for land trusts. Funding is to strengthen land conservation efforts and requires a 25% match. Nonprofits are eligible to apply.
USDA- National Institute of Food and Agriculture
Community Food Projects Competitive Grant Program
Look to see if there are any general health or sustainability mini-grants, as community garden work may qualify.
Here's a list of some of the foundations that fund community garden projects.
Whole Kids Foundation
Kitchen Gardeners International
The Home Depot Foundation
Citizen's Committee for New York City (NYC)
National Park and Recreation Association
Urban farm funds
Betsy and Jesse Fink Foundation
David Rockefeller Fund
Lucius and Eva Eastman Fund
Merck Family Fund
The Claniel Foundation