Andrew M. Cuomo, Governor | Richard A. Ball, Commissioner

Food Processor

If I process one of the foods below; I need a 20-C license.

  • Cooking, boiling, broiling, frying, grilling, freezing, drying, roasting, heating or reheating food
  • Mincing/Grinding/Slicing/Curing/Brining - meat, cheese, fish, vegetables, fruit, bagels, bread etc
  • Use of a cappuccino machine
  • Baking
  • Preserving - fruits or vegetables - jams, jellies, chutneys, salsa, sauces, etc
  • Canning or Pickling - fruits, vegetables, meats, etc
  • Bottling - Oils, Drinks (shakes, juices, coffee, teas, apple cider, etc)
  • Repacking uncooked foods, ready-to-eat foods, salads, fruit, dried fruit, vegetables, cereals, granola, nuts, yoghurt cups, etc
  • Preparing ready-to-eat salads: tuna, chicken, egg, mixed foods, meats and pasta dishes, etc
  • Smoking: fish, meat and meat products, cheeses, etc
  • Pickling or Marinating: fish, herrings, meat, poultry, vegetables, cabbage, fruit, olives
  • Dehydrating: fruit, vegetables, beef, chicken, pork, fish, herbs and spices
  • Catering: off-site service of foods prepared at establishment (Note: off-site preparation may require local Health department permit)
  • Freezing: frozen dessert machine, ice cream, yogurt, slush, ice milk, shaved Ice, serving dish or cone hard ice cream, retail ice production and packaging
  • Other

Article 20-C Food Processing:

    Who's Required:

    Food manufactures, processing plants, wholesale bakeries and retail food establishments (i.e., grocery stores) that conduct any type of food preparation including but not limited to, meat and cheese slicing, heating foods, sandwich making, operating beverage dispensing machines, and preparing sushi, salad bars, or other ready to eat exposed food packaging activity.

    Application: Food Processing Establishment License




    Description of Food Processing