Andrew M. Cuomo, Governor | Richard A. Ball, Commissioner

Food Establishment Licenses

The Division of Food Safety and Inspection is responsible for the licensing and inspection of food establishments operating in the following capacities:

The terms “food” and “food product” shall include ALL articles of food, drink, confectionery or condiment, whether simple, mixed or compound, used or intended for use by humans or animals, and shall also include ALL substances or ingredients to be added to food for any purpose. This definition shall be construed as including chewing gum.

If you need assistance, please call 800-554-4501.

Article 20-C Food Processing establishments:

    Who's Required:

    Food manufactures, processing plants, wholesale bakeries and retail food establishments (i.e., grocery stores) that conduct any type of food preparation including but not limited to, meat and cheese slicing, heating foods, sandwich making, operating beverage dispensing machines, and preparing sushi, salad bars, or other ready to eat exposed food packaging activity.

    Application: Food Processing Establishment License

    Description of Food Processing

Article 28–A Retail Food Stores (No Food Processing):

    Who’s Required:

    Any Retail Food Store within the State where food and food products are offered to the consumer and intended for off-premises consumption and conducts no food processing as defined above. This includes stores which sell fluid milk, shell eggs and refrigerated meats.

    Application: Retail Food Store

Article 28–D Food Warehouses:

    Who’s Required:

    Any food warehouse facility within the State in which food is held for commercial distribution.

    Application: Food Warehouse

Article 17-B Food Salvager:

    Who's Required:

    A business that receives distress or damaged food or food use products for reconditioning, culling and or sorting for the purpose of resale of satisfactory products.

    Application: Food Salvager

Article 19 Refrigerated Warehouse/Locker Plant:

    Who's Required:

    A facility that offers refrigerated storage space for rent in their building for the storage of food commodities or produce owned by other businesses. The commodities being held must be lot coded and not held for over two years without approval for extended storage. Produce only facilities pay a reduced license fee.


    Refrigerated Warehouse/Locker Plant/Fresh Fruit and/or Vegetable Storage Facility
    Financial Statement for Refrigerated Warehouse and/or Locker Plant

Article 5-C Licensing of Rendering Plants:

    Who's Required:

    Disposal plants that process animals or inedible meat for other than human consumption require this license. Also, businesses that operate a transportation service for the purpose of transporting for hire unprocessed animal bodies or meat products not intended for human consumption.


    Transportation Service License
    Disposal Plant License