Equipment Washing and Handwashing Requirements
Operators of retail food stores in New York State are required
by law to provide functioning equipment cleaning, as well as handwashing
facilities, within their establishments.
Equipment cleaning sinks must consist of either two or three compartments
and must be supplied with hot and cold potable running water.
If a three compartment sink is utilized, the following sequence
must be adhered to:
- Equipment is to be thoroughly cleaned with a hot detergent solution
in the first compartment;
- Equipment is to be rinsed in the second compartment;
- Equipment is to be sanitized in the third compartment with hot water immersion for at least 1/2 a minute in hot water 170°F or higher, or a chemical sanitizer equivalent used in accordance with manufacturer's recommendations, including water temperature.
If a two compartment sink is utilized, one of the following sequences must be adhered to:
- Equipment and utensils shall be thoroughly cleaned in the first compartment with a solution of hot water and detergent that is kept clean and at a concentration indicated on the manufacturer's label. Cleaned equipment shall be sanitized by immersion for at least 1/2 minute in clean, hot water of a temperature of at least 170°F (congruent to 77°C) in the second compartment or with a chemical sanitizer equivalent at recommended water temperature.
- Equipment and utensils shall be thoroughly cleaned in the first
compartment with a hot detergent-sanitizer solution that is kept
clean and at a concentration indicated on the manufacturers
label and shall be sanitized , by immersion, for at least 1/2
minute in clean, hot water of a temperature of at least 170°F
(congruent to 77°C) in the second compartment, or with a solution
containing that same detergent sanitizer at acceptable concentration
levels for specific chemical sanitizers.
Note: A detergent-sanitizer is a specific, commercially prepared, singular compound; not an
on-site combination of a detergent and a sanitizer.
If a dishwashing machine is utilized:
Cleaning and sanitizing may be done by spray-type or immersion dishwashing machines or by any other type of machine or device if it is demonstrated that it thoroughly cleans and sanitizes equipment and utensils. These machines and devices shall be properly installed and maintained in good repair. Machines and devices shall be operated in accordance with manufacturers' instructions, and utensils and equipment placed in the machine shall be exposed to all dishwashing cycles. Automatic detergent dispensers, wetting agent dispensers and liquid sanitizer injectors, if any, shall be properly installed and maintained.
Handwashing facilities are required to be installed in retail food
stores conveniently located to permit use by employees in food preparation
and warewashing areas. Additionally, they must also be provided
in or adjacent to toilet rooms or their vestibules.
All handwashing facilities must be provided with hot water of at
least 105°F (40.5°C), and cold water tempered by means of a mixing
valve or combination faucet. Soap and sanitary towels must also
Hand sanitizer is not a substitute for handwashing.