Guidelines for Preparation of Sushi Products at Retail
This document is a guideline for the preparation of sushi products
in a retail setting where immediate consumption is not likely. Any
firm manufacturing a sushi product using acidified rice should first
do a hazard analysis of their processing procedures, establish critical
control points and follow a HACCP-based plan, which includes appropriate
- Follow written recipe requirements, especially regarding amounts
of rice and water weights prior to cooking.
- Prepare acidification agent per recipe with target pH of 4.1
or less, but not to exceed 4.6.
- Cooked rice shall be placed into a clean container of such
depth to promote uniform acidification.
- A calibrated pH meter shall be used, according to manufacturer's
instructions, to monitor pH in each batch with results properly
recorded. In lieu of a pH meter, pH paper can be used if the pH
is 4.0 or less.
- Use only dedicated food preparation sinks for preparation of ingredients.
- Bare hand contact with ready-to-eat food products is prohibited.
Sanitary gloves, utensils or other such devices must be utilized.
Adequate and properly equipped handwash facilities shall be located
in the sushi prep area. Clothing and hair restraints shall comply
with New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets Retail
Food Store regulations.
- All food contact surfaces and utensils shall be maintained
in accordance with New York State Department of Agriculture and
Markets Retail Food Store regulations.
- Ingredients shall come from approved sources. Seafood products,
if identified as a parasite hazard, shall be obtained from a supplier
who has frozen the product to -4ºF (-20ºC) or below internal or
external for seven (7) days or -31ºF (-35ºC) or below internal
for 15 hours. If the species is identified as a histamine producer,
documentation from the supplier shall show that temperature control
from harvest through delivery was sufficient to prevent decomposition.
- Ingredients such as fresh cut vegetables and produce shall
be kept refrigerated at 45ºF or less.
- Bamboo mats used for product formation shall be wrapped in
plastic wrap and rewrapped within 4 hours or between contact with
different species of raw fish.
- Products where the internal temperature has been reduced below
45ºF internally within 4 hours may be handled by the firm as any
other refrigerated food.
- Records of pH tests, letters of guarantee from suppliers and
temperature checks shall be available for inspection.
- HACCP plan records regarding critical control points should
- Standardized formulations that assure the proper pH of all
batches must be verified at frequent levels. All formulations
and verification records shall be maintained.
- Products shall be properly labeled.